Recent comments on posts in the blog:

UFTP has since moved to http://uftp-multicast.sourceforge.net
Comment by Dennis Tuesday, February 11, 2014
TCP is known to preform poorly over wireless networks: http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/~hari/papers/mcn.ps
Comment by Alexander Wednesday, December 28, 2011

think this is the worst 'mother nature' can dish out?

Really?

REALLY?

Good article though.

Comment by cpm Monday, March 14, 2011

Personally I find that one of the better mobile interfaces available for the droid (when on my local network at least) is a vnc session (x11 may work as well, haven't tried it yet) to a server whose resolution matches the screen resolution of the phone. A key feature that makes this interface usable is that the client remaps the phone's touchscreen to a touchpad (absolute to relative) so that physically tiny UI elements are easy to interact with.

Perhaps if some of the internet's latency issues get addressed properly this will work from outside the home as well.

Comment by kevin Saturday, March 12, 2011
Wouldn't adding -cache something_huge to mplayer work around the problem?
Comment by sorpigal Saturday, February 26, 2011

For the rest of us out here, speaking only for myself,

I'm listening to 'internet radio' with the netbook, wirelessly. I'm surfing, (writing this) and I have a youtube video playing in the background while I'm typing, on my laptop, wirelessly.

The uplink is abysmal.

No dropouts.

Never get dropouts.

dropped connections, yeah, from time to time,

dropouts? Not in the last decade.

using audacious right now, but it may as well be anything else. No worries.

Are you SURE you are actually have a problem? Or is this a case of the over-sharpened edge soon blunts?

Comment by cpm Saturday, January 15, 2011

I sometimes get a real education when reading your blog, Dave. Other times I get a wake-up call that I don't know everything.

[Maybe I just need another cup of coffee this morning.]

Comment by Ed Friday, January 7, 2011
I took a look at Gnugol, saw you had a blank stub file for DNS. It just so happens I just released a library to encode/decode DNS queries (http://www.conman.org/software/spcdns/) that would probably be useful for such a thing.
Comment by boston [conman.org] Tuesday, December 21, 2010

prior post concerning trying to make sense of email;

5+ years ago, I even went to the extreme of throwing a 4xx reject (try again later) and port scanning every smtp connecting box that wasn't whitelisted before allowing a delivery attempt. Oh yes, that worked really well.

Then the users started complaining that their boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/whatever's couldn't send them email. Some of the sales folks complained that certain spammy companies that they 'thought' they wanted to do business with, couldn't send them email. Or, that 'so-an-so' send me an email, but it took 20 minutes, what's wrong with our email server? Blah blah blah.

Folks want their email,

And they deserve to get it

Good and hard.

Comment by cpm Wednesday, December 15, 2010

does anyone actually care?

“He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.” Revelation 13:16-17

And so what? as we all know, no one cares about all that, they want their iTunes, amazon 1-click and their twits. That's all that matters.

The SCOTUS started making rulings along time ago that pegged the US citizenry (at least) as consumers a very long time ago. And folks are okay with that. QED.

Using RMS, one the bright shining stars of no passwords as an example of a bastion of privacy is pretty weird.

If you want a stand alone computing environment that allows some degree of interaction, you've got it. In spades, had it for decades. The direction the whole ball is rolling is a different paradigm. It's want folks want, and folks deserve to get it,

good and hard.